Since 2011 Parkland Regional Library has invited member public libraries to participate in Snapshot Day. For one day in October, libraries from around the province collect information, comments, stories, and photographs to get a “snapshot” of a typical library day. Participation among Parkland libraries has been enthusiastic. Have a look at the stellar results by visiting the 2011 Snapshot Day and 2012 Snapshot Day pages.
We hope your library will choose to participate this October. The materials below will help you create a fun and successful day.
How To and Promotion
- Step-by-Step Snapshot Day Guide - An overall guide to everything you need to do before, during, and after Snapshot Day (PDF)
- 15 Easy Ways to Make Snapshot Day a Success (PDF file)
- Snapshot Day website images (download images for your website)
- Snapshot Promotional Posters – Customize and display these posters in your library and community in the weeks leading up to your Snapshot Day. Customize with your logo and chosen date! Both posters include instructions detailing the easiest way to import your library's logo in the "Your logo here" box. (Version 1 (Word), Version 2 (Publisher))
- Sample Press Release - Customize this press release and email it to your local newspaper and radio stations the week before your Snapshot Day. (Word file)
Collecting Data and Taking Photographs
- Data Collection Sheet – You can place this at the circulation desk so staff can record patrons’ use throughout the day. (Word file)
- Patron Response Card - Hand out this card to patrons. Put out a box or basket for patrons to deposit their filled-out cards. (PDF file)
- Public Photography Notice – Post this notice in your library on your Snapshot Day to let patrons know you are taking photographs. (Word file, PDF file)
- Photo Release Form – Form that your patrons can sign when you take their picture. You must have a signed release form before you can post or share photos. (Word file, PDF file)
After Snapshot Day
- Please post your photos to our Shared Drive (the Q drive) and complete our library staff survey. Click here for the survey!
If you have ideas or promotional materials that you’d like to share with the Parkland community, please let us know and we will post them here.
Special thanks to Chinook Arch Regional Library for leading the province in this initiative.
Jun 17-20 - Library Effect workshops in Provost and Olds
Jun 14 - Grant application and financial info due to Public Library Services Branch
Jun 27-Jul 2 - ALA annual conference in Chicago
Jul 2 - Summer Reading Program begins
Aug 14-16 - Pacific Northwest Library Association conference in Boise
Aug 31-Sep 2 - TALES Fort Edmonton Storytelling Festival