- About PRL
- Training & Resources
- Advocacy & Marketing
- Boards & Friends
- Collections & Facilities
- Connect with Patrons
- eLibrary Help
- Interlibrary Loans
- Libraries Advisory Group (LAG)
- Library Funding
- Reports & Statistics
- Shipping & Ordering
- Workshops & Training
- Standards & Legislation
- Library Effect
- Me Account
Shipping & Ordering
March 4, 2011 - 11:20am — lauralee
View the van schedule now.
Resource Sharing / Shipping Procedures
These manuals give the procedures for shipping and receiving items from other Parkland libraries (both public and school libraries) as well as libraries outside the system. These manuals also discuss Parkland van runs and the Canada Post Library Book Rate.
- The Resource Sharing manual for public libraries (updated October 2013) contains shipping procedures for public libraries.
- The Resource Sharing manual for school libraries (updated August 2012) contains shipping procedures for school libraries.
- List of PRL public and school libraries (with codes) - sorted by code, sorted by name
- Note to include when shipping A/V to patrons (editable Word doc) - you may use this if you wish to remind patrons to return items in original packaging.
PRL Van Run Schedule
View the van schedule now.
Member public libraries receive a van delivery every week. School libraries receive a van delivery every two weeks during the school year (no deliveries while schools are closed during the summer).
Transit Labels, Flags, ILL Bookbands
- PRL Transit Flags (for books and other items)
- PRL Transit Labels (for bags)
- PRL Transit Labels - for A/V interlibrary loans
- TAL Return Flags - Contact Parkland if you need more of these.
- PRL Bookbands for ILLs - These should be printed on 11x17 paper. If you do not have the capacity to print to that paper size, contact Parkland and we will send copies on your next van run.
Canada Post & Government Courier
- Canada Post Shipping Tool (login required - contact a Parkland consultant if you need this)
- Canada Post Shipping Tool Instructions (updated Oct 2013)
- Canada Post Shipping Tool Label Checklist
- Postage Reimbursement Form
- Postage Reimbursement Log Excel, PDF
- Alberta Libraries on Government Courier - sorted by regional system (as of December 2013)
- Alberta Libraries on Government Courier - public libraries listed alphabetically (as of February 2013)
To order library supplies or shipping supplies, go to Services > Supplies.
Purchase Library Materials
These instructions and forms are for both school and public libraries unless specifically indicated otherwise.
- Ordering instructions for MARC Ordering, Purchase Requests, and Selection Lists can be found at Training & Resources > Horizon > Ordering.
- Library Material Order Form
- Libraries may use allotment funds to purchase materials through personal shopping at one of our approved vendors (such as United Library Services, Greenwoods, Chapters/Indigo). Before personal shopping, you must get a Purchase Order from Parkland's Acquisitions department. All items purchased must be shipped immediately to Parkland in a box (or boxes) labelled with a Personal Shopping Label and with the invoice enclosed.
Mar 8 - VDX workshop at Lougheed, 1-4 pm
Mar 13 - Enterprise workshop at Innisfail, 10-11:30 am
Mar 13 - Enterprise workshop at Didsbury, 2-3:30 pm
Mar 13 & 14 - Public Library Assoc. Virtual conference
Mar 17 - LAG meeting at PRL, 10 am-3 pm
Mar 18 - Enterprise workshop at Rocky, 10-noon (includes 1/2 hour TAL Online demo)
Mar 20 - World Storytelling Day
Mar 21 - Enterprise workshop at Camrose, 10:30-noon
Mar 22 - Enterprise workshop at Lougheed, 1:30-3 pm
Mar 24 - Enterprise workshop at PRL, 1:30-3 pm
April - National Poetry Month
April 6-12 - National Volunteer Week