Shipping & Ordering
Resource Sharing / Shipping Procedures
These manuals give the procedures for shipping and receiving items from other Parkland libraries (both public and school libraries) as well as libraries outside the system. These manuals also discuss Parkland van runs and the Canada Post Library Book Rate.
- The Resource Sharing manual for public libraries (updated July 2012) contains shipping procedures for public libraries.
- The Resource Sharing manual for school libraries (updated August 2012) contains shipping procedures for school libraries.
- List of PRL public and school libraries (with codes) - sorted by code, sorted by name
PRL Van Run Schedule
View the van schedule now.
Member public libraries receive a van delivery every week. School libraries receive a van delivery every two weeks during the school year (no deliveries while schools are closed during the summer).
- PRL Transit Flags (for books and other items)
- PRL Transit Labels (for bags)
- PRL Transit Labels - for A/V interlibrary loans
- TAL Return Flags - Contact Parkland if you need more of these.
- PRL Bookbands for ILLs - These should be printed on 11x17 paper. If you do not have the capacity to print to that paper size, contact Parkland and we will send copies on your next van run.
Canada Post & Government Courier
- Canada Post Shipping Tool (login required - contact a Parkland consultant if you need this)
- Canada Post Shipping Tool Instructions
- Canada Post Shipping Tool Label Checklist
- Postage Reimbursement Form
- Postage Reimbursement Log Excel, PDF
- Alberta Libraries on Government Courier - sorted by regional system (as of February 2013)
- Alberta Libraries on Government Courier - public libraries listed alphabetically (as of February 2013)
To order library supplies or shipping supplies, go to Services > Supplies.
Purchase Library Materials
These instructions and forms are for both school and public libraries unless specifically indicated otherwise.
- MARC Ordering allows libraries to order items using a shopping cart when logged in to a vendor's website. Instructions and vendor catalogues are under Ordering at Training & Resources > Horizon
- Order from one of the Selection Lists in Horizon such as ILL hot picks. Ordering is easy and instructions can be found at Training & Resources > Horizon
- Use Horizon's Purchase Request module to order physical library material (books, dvds, etc.). Find the Purchase Request Guide under Ordering at Training & Resources > Horizon
- eBook/eAudio ordering instructions (public libraries only)
- Library Material Order Form
- Libraries may use allotment funds to purchase materials through personal shopping at one of our approved vendors (such as United Library Services, Greenwoods, Chapters/Indigo). Before personal shopping, you must get a Purchase Order from Parkland's Acquisitions department. All items purchased must be shipped immediately to Parkland in a box (or boxes) labelled with a Personal Shopping Label and with the invoice enclosed.
May 25 - Alberta Literary Awards Gala in Edmonton
May 29- June 1 - Canadian Library Association Conference in Winnipeg
June 1 - Summer Reading Club workshop at Parkland, 9am-3pm
June 6-9 - AALT Conference in Canmore
June 10 - LAG meeting at Parkland, 10am-3pm
June 11-20 - Library Effect workshops throughout the region
June 14 - Grant application and financial info due to Public Library Services Branch