Is your library looking to purchase new IT equipment? Please review our recommendations below:
Budgeting and Planning
Before you begin making purchases, you'll want to do a little preparation. The Budgeting, Planning, & Purchasing of IT Equipment PowerPoint has some excellent suggestions.
If you're looking to purchase discounted equipment through Dell, please review the "Getting Started with Dell Premier" instructions first.
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition
- Processor: Intel Core i3, i5, or i7 (3 GHz or greater)
- Physical memory (RAM): 4 Gigabytes (6 GB is recommended)
- Storage (hard drive): 128 Gigabytes
- Optical drive: 8x DVD+/- RW (writes to DVDs and CDs)
- Video card: Built-in integrated video cards are sufficient for most uses
- Display/Monitor = 19" or greater
- Warranty: 3-year basic hardware warranty
Parkland provides the following software to all member public libraries free of charge:
- Panda Antivirus
- Faronics Deep Freeze
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
- Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus
Parkland does not purchase other software packages for member public libraries, they must be purchase those directly with their preferred vendor. Most vendors and software companies offer academic/educational pricing to libraries, so be sure to ask your vendor about this.
Barcode scanners (these models can be purchased through Parkland):
- Wired USB scanner: Motorola Symbol LS2208
- Cordless scanner: Motorola Symbol LS4278
Receipt Printers (this model can be purchased through Parkland):
- Epson TM-T88V thermal receipt printer
Other peripherals such as printers, network switches, wireless access points, etc. are often chosen based on a particular set of needs and are not itemized here. For assistance with any other IT related purchase, contact the PRL Helpdesk.
May 1 - Taleblazers bookings open
May 1-17 - Alberta Reader's Choice Award public voting
May 25 - Alberta Literary Awards Gala in Edmonton
May 29- June 1 - Canadian Library Association Conference in Winnipeg
June 1 - Summer Reading Club workshop at Parkland, 9am-3pm
June 6-9 - AALT Conference in Canmore
June 10 - LAG meeting at Parkland, 10am-3pm
June 14 - Grant application and financial info due to Public Library Services Branch