- About PRL
- Training & Resources
- Advocacy & Marketing
- Boards & Friends
- Collections & Facilities
- Connect with Patrons
- eLibrary Help
- Interlibrary Loans
- Libraries Advisory Group (LAG)
- Library Funding
- Reports & Statistics
- Shipping & Ordering
- Workshops & Training
- Standards & Legislation
- Library Effect
- Me Account
Manage your Space
July 21, 2011 - 1:13pm — lauralee
Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) recently updated the Standards and Best Practices for Public Libraries in Alberta. The section on Facilites includes a discussion of public library space needs considering collections, public areas, and staff work space.
The space planning worksheet can assist boards and staff with planning.
When contemplating a new or renovated space, there are many questions that need to be asked and discussed. Contact your Parkland consultant at the start of discussions to tap into professional advice and expertise in space planning and management.
WebJunction presents several useful resources (a flexible spaces webinar, tips for repurposing retail spaces, new ways to envision public spaces, and more) to help planners create Library Spaces that Keep Customers Coming Back.
Additional documents and tools that can assist you in planning and design for new, renovated or existing spaces:
- 10 Steps to a Better Library: Tips that don't have to cost a lot (Library Journal, 2011).
- Public Library Space Needs: A Planning Outline (2009) by Anders C. Dahlgren.
- A Space Needs Worksheet (Excel) designed to perform calculations from input data.
- Teen Space Guidelines developed by the Young Adult Library Services Association.
- Documents on specific aspects of facility planning including shelving, lighting, acoustics, site selection, signagae and more from Libris Design.
- View WebJunction's Flexible Spaces - Flexible Futures archived webinar.
- The Danish Agency for Culture has published a toolkit for library design in the digital age: Model Programme for Public Libraries.
- Designing Libraries is a resource for planning and designing libraries.
- Administrators of Rural and Urban Public Libraries of Ontario have created guidelines for libraries.
Mar 13 - Enterprise workshop at Innisfail, 10-11:30 am
Mar 13 - Enterprise workshop at Didsbury, 2-3:30 pm
Mar 13 & 14 - Public Library Assoc. Virtual conference
Mar 17 - LAG meeting at PRL, 10 am-3 pm
Mar 18 - Enterprise workshop at Rocky, 10-noon (includes 1/2 hour TAL Online demo)
Mar 20 - World Storytelling Day
Mar 21 - Enterprise workshop at Camrose, 10:30-noon
Mar 22 - Enterprise workshop at Lougheed, 1:30-3 pm
Mar 24 - Enterprise workshop at PRL, 1:30-3 pm
April - National Poetry Month
April 6-12 - National Volunteer Week