- About PRL
- Training & Resources
- Advocacy & Marketing
- Boards & Friends
- Collections & Facilities
- Connect with Patrons
- eLibrary Help
- Interlibrary Loans
- Libraries Advisory Group (LAG)
- Library Funding
- Reports & Statistics
- Shipping & Ordering
- Workshops & Training
- Standards & Legislation
- Me Account
Manage your Space
July 21, 2011 - 1:13pm — lauralee
Public Library Services Branch (PLSB) recently updated the Standards and Best Practices for Public Libraries in Alberta. The section on Facilites includes a discussion of public library space needs considering collections, public areas, and staff work space.
The space planning worksheet can assist boards and staff with planning.
When contemplating a new or renovated space, there are many questions that need to be asked and discussed. Contact your Parkland consultant at the start of discussions to tap into professional advice and expertise in space planning and management.
Additional documents and tools that can assist you in planning and design for new, renovated or existing spaces:
- Public Library Space Needs: A Planning Outline (2009) by Anders C. Dahlgren.
- A Space Needs Worksheet (Excel) designed to perform calculations from input data.
- Teen Space Guidelines developed by the Young Adult Library Services Association.
- Documents on specific aspects of facility planning including shelving, lighting, acoustics, site selection, signagae and more from Libris Design.
Dec 25-Jan 1 - Parkland office closed
Dec 27-31 - Emergency helpdesk support available to libraries from 10 am to 4 pm
Jan 17 - Workshop - Annual Report & iPac Attack at Parkland, all day
Jan 20 - Workshop - Annual Report & iPac Attack at Parkland, all day