Parkland Regional Library Service
Thirty-five central Alberta schools contract with Parkland Regional Library for cost-effective library service. Schools wishing to contract for library service can contact (Donna Williams) for further information. The following documents are provided to explain and describe services available:
- The Services to Schools brochure gives an overview of school library services available through Parkland.
- The School Library Services Manual contains general information about library operations within the regional system.
- All school library clients have access to system-wide resources through the Title Request and Subject Request services.
- Check the van schedule to learn when van deliveries are made to each library.
Use the School Library Information Update form to update your information every September.
The same form can be used to notify Parkland of changes that occur during the school year.
If you have a new library manager, contact (Susan Grieshaber-Otto), Manager of Consulting Services, to arrange for orientation and training.
Educational Media Service
Thirty-eight schools use Parkland Regional Library's Educational Media Service for teacher access to videocassettes and DVDs for classroom use. Educational Media Service clients also have access to streaming video from the Alberta Video Co-Acquisition Consortium (COAC).
Shipping and Requesting Books
On the Shipping and Ordering page, you will find:
- The Resource Sharing Manual for Schools, which explains processes and procedures for borrowing and lending material between public and school libraries within Parkland
- Transit labels and transit flags to use for labelling bags and books to be shipped on the van
- A link to Parkland's van schedule.
Borrow Books from Other Libraries
Schools contracting for library service may borrow individual titles or a number of titles on a particular subject from the public libraries within the Parkland system:
- Request specific titles now using the Title Request form.
- Request a selection of titles on a particular subject for students using the Subject Request form.
PRL Professional Development Opportunities
Parkland Regional Library hosts a variety of professional development opportunities each year. Watch for announncements of upcoming events. View slides and handouts from past events on the Workshops and Training page.
- Horizon - instructions and procedures for Parkland's integrated library system
- Advocacy - information to help build the case for school libraries
- Copyright - guidelines for print, broadcase and digital mediums
- Show Movies at Your Library - obtaining and applying public performance rights
- Supplies - library supplies available through Parkland
- Collections & Facilities - information and tools for planning and managing library facilities
- Collect & Use Statistics - includes information on how libraries can gather and use data
- Alberta Education - access to the Ministry of Education
Jun 17-20 - Library Effect workshops in Provost and Olds
Jun 14 - Grant application and financial info due to Public Library Services Branch
Jun 27-Jul 2 - ALA annual conference in Chicago
Jul 2 - Summer Reading Program begins
Aug 14-16 - Pacific Northwest Library Association conference in Boise
Aug 31-Sep 2 - TALES Fort Edmonton Storytelling Festival